carpet care FAQs
Learn more about Carpet Care through these frequently asked questions.
Click on a question below to go directly to its answer or scroll down to read all questions.
- How should I maintain my STAINMASTER® carpet?
- Will vacuuming regularly decrease the stain resistant chemical in my carpet?
- Does steam cleaning affect stain resistance of STAINMASTER® carpet?
- How do I remove a stain from my STAINMASTER® carpet?
- Will stains be removed from STAINMASTER® carpet no matter how long they are left on?
- Do cleaning solvents harm the stain resistance mechanism?
- Can you use other spot cleaning procedures or just water on STAINMASTER® carpet?
- Are there deodorisers for use after cleaning stain/odour from carpet?
- Do I have to apply an after-treatment to preserve my STAINMASTER® carpet limited warranties?
- Will I void my STAINMASTER® carpet limited warranties by applying an after-treatment?
- Can you recommend a professional carpet cleaner? Are there approved cleaners for STAINMASTER® carpet?
- How often do you recommend you have your carpet professionally cleaned?
- Which professional carpet cleaning methods does STAINMASTER® carpet?
- Is do-it-yourself carpet cleaning okay?
There are three key steps in a proper maintenance plan: Vacuum frequently, clean spills promptly, and have professional carpet cleanings at least annually. Remember, also, to maintain your limited warranties, you need to have your carpet professionally cleaned by hot water extraction (steam cleaning) at least every 18 months.
No. Regular vacuuming is an important part of complete carpet maintenance. Vacuuming will help to remove dry soil particles that can dull fibres and cause matting to occur.
No. Tests indicate steam cleaning does not affect the stain resistance performance of STAINMASTER® carpet. STAINMASTER® carpet limited warranties require professional cleaning by hot water extraction (steam cleaning) at least every 18 months.
Our recommended cleaning procedure is the use of a mild liquid dishwashing detergent with sufficient quantities of water to flush the stain out of the carpet. After each application of the detergent and water, be sure to blot any excess moisture with a clean white cloth. Always blot from the outer edge of the stain, moving towards the middle to prevent spreading. On more difficult stains or larger areas, INVISTA recommends a professional cleaning.
You will always want to remove the stain as soon as possible, but with the protection of STAINMASTER® carpet you can remove most stains even after 24 hours. Of course, it depends on what type of stain it is as to whether it can be removed after a certain time has elapsed. Repeated attempts at stain removal and/or seeking the assistance of a carpet cleaning professional may be necessary in certain circumstances.
Certain cleaning solvents may affect colourfastness, or harm the stain resistant chemistry. You should always do a small spot check to assure that the solvent is safe on your carpet.
STAINMASTER® carpet is engineered so that the stain molecules do not adhere to the fibre. Our recommended cleaning procedure is the use of a mild liquid dishwashing detergent with sufficient quantities of water to flush the stain out of the carpet. A wet vacuum or steam-cleaning machine may be used on heavy or difficult stains. This procedure is for spot cleaning or the removal of stains ONLY. We recommend periodic professional cleaning as part of your regular maintenance plan for your carpet.
Yes. Consult a professional cleaner for recommendations on professional deodorising products. Otherwise we recommend a mixture of two tablespoons white distilled vinegar to one-quart water.
If you use a fluorine based (water-based) after-treatment product, you will not void your STAINMASTER® carpet limited warranties. However, some after-treatments are solvent-based or silicone-based which may invalidate your warranty. If you have questions on the contents of any after-treatment, you should contact the manufacturer prior to using it on your carpet.
In Australia, we recommend you consult the National Upholstery & Carpet Cleaners Association on 1800 621 872 or access their website at www.nuccra.asn.au. In New Zealand, we recommend you consult with Carpet Cleaners Association of New Zealand on 0800 422 269 or access their web site at www.carpetcleaners.org.nz
Frequency of cleaning should be determined based on household conditions. We recommend a professional cleaning by hot water extraction (steam cleaning) at least every 18 months. (Professional cleaning by hot water extraction (steam cleaning) at least every 18 months is required to maintain your STAINMASTER® carpet limited warranties).
We recommend the hot water extraction (steam cleaning) method at least every 18 months. This method can also be used for regular carpet maintenance.
Professional cleaning is recommended for any carpet. If you decide to do it yourself, carefully follow these guidelines:
- Follow the manufacturer's directions carefully. Avoid using too much detergent, as it could cause resoiling. Rinse thoroughly.
- Use only cleaning solutions that are acceptable for use on stain and soil resistant carpet. Cationic or chemicals with a pH greater than 10 should be avoided as they may void your warranty.
- Remember that professional cleaning by hot water extraction (steam cleaning) is required at least every 18 months to maintain your STAINMASTER® carpet limited warranties.